Are you noticing the print coming out from your printer having lines, marks, or some spots? Or is the sheet coming out slowly or too harshly, and sometimes paper sucks in the printer? Then it probably means the printer paper feeder roller has some issue, and you need to clean your printer paper rollers. Over time printer rollers start coating with dust and lose their strength to feed paper ideally.
If you are a printer user, you may experience many issues with the cartridges, ink tanks, toners, or other components, and printer paper feeder rollers may also stop working perfectly and need some treatment.
It often happens when dust or dirt is stuck on the paper feeder rollers, so it either functions unusually slowly or starts leaving some marks and spots on the sheet you print. Sometimes, it may even twist the sheets, messing up the entire print. It is pretty annoying plus a waste of time and money.
This blog explains how to clean the printer rollers. There is a quick guide describing how to proceed, depending on the printer you have.
- 1 How to Clean Printer Rollers?
- 2 Tips to Clean Printer Rollers Perfectly
- 3 Now You Are Ready To Clean Your Printer Rollers – Conclusion
How to Clean Printer Rollers?
You will find cleaning a printer is a little tricky if it is your first time and you are not familiar with printers. Still, you don’t need to worry about it. We will guide you on how to clean the paper feeder roller step by step.
What You Will Need
Once you have these things, then you can easily clean your printer roller.
- Some fluffed cloths
- 1 Distilled water bottel
Prepare the Printer To Clean Roller
Before starting the cleaning, make sure to unplug the printer and disconnect all the connections. Now take the printer, Place it where you can work freely, and make sure you should have enough light to see everything clearly without mass up and interruption.
Please follow all the precautions to avoid short circuits and damage – or shock yourself. Be safe & stay safe!!
Find & Remove the Rollers
There are two types of printers, one is an inkjet, and the other is a laser. The paper rollers of the inkjet printer are usually inside the machine whereas, the roller of a laser printer is near the paper tray.
However, you may want more information, have a look.
- Generally, the rollers on the laser printer are probably close to the paper tray. If you can not find it, open the access panel. On the inkjet, the roller is inside the machine. You can find it on the upper or bottom part depending upon the printer. You can place the printer in an upward direction so you can easily find it.
- Once you find it, take it off by rotating the roller carefully and softly. It is seemingly attached to the printer via a simple mechanism, so lift it with care. Do not apply any force or try to pull it. Sometimes it comes off with slight pressure.
- If you have to open the access panel, you can easily open it with a slow pull and take it off gently. Sometimes screwdriver is needed. Use it if necessary.
- There are lots of printers models that have different mechanisms. Some models come with non-removable rollers. In this case, you will have to wipe the roller from inside the device directly by rotating them.
Prepare the Cloth
Once you have done the first step, you have to prepare the cotton to clean your printer roller.
- Take a small bowl and fill it with half a cup of distilled water. Then add one or two tablespoons of alcohol and mix it well.
- Get wet the lint-free cloth with the mix and squeeze it. Do not take the dripping wet cotton (especially if working from inside the printer). You have to make the lightly moistened cotton.
Now you can start cleaning the rollers with this prepared lint-free cloth.
Wipe the Rollers Dry
After cleaning the roller, you should dry it. If you did not do that, it starts dripping inside or moistening the papers. If your machine is a sublimation printer you have to be more careful about it.
- Take the other piece of lint-free cloth and dry the rollers. If the roller is inside the printer, do not drip inside. When the roller is perfectly dry, re-install it with care.
If you install a wet roller, it is more likely to moisturize the paper sheets, catch the dust again, or short circuit the printer.
Tips to Clean Printer Rollers Perfectly
There are some recommendations. Follow them when you are cleaning a printer paper roller to avoid any damage.
Naver starts any repairing process without disconnecting it from the main power supply and other connections. If you work and power is on, you may cause a short circuit or other damage. More likely you will sock yourself
Be Careful When Handling
When you are repairing the printer or roller, make sure to manage and handle everything with care. There are lots of delicate parts, that do not cause any damage. As you know, uninstalling a printer roller is a very tricky task, so focus and be careful when you are doing it. Take care of all the components which you take out and also remember their places.
That’s why we always recommend, if you are doing anything, you should have enough space and light where you do your work comfortably and freely.
Be Careful with Alcohol
If you are working with alcohol, the most important point to remember is that alcohol is flammable and somehow acts like acid. Do not apply it directly on the roller, do not use it too much. Alcohol simply damages the printer roller rubber and other components.
Now you are thinking, I will use any other thing instead of alcohol, so remember other chemicals contain more strong acids. If you use you definitely damage your printer.
Do Not Use Machines
In the last, do not use any other sharp tools, air or heat guns, in this process. The best to clean the roller is to take it out smoothly and wipe it carefully. Don’t be over smart otherwise, you will face perpetual damage to the printer.
Now You Are Ready To Clean Your Printer Rollers – Conclusion
Finally, you learn how to clean the printer roller in the best way. This process seems to be very simple but, it takes pretty much time and effort. But you will feel good when your printer starts working perfectly again.
In the last, I suggest you follow all the recommendations and precautions. If you follow them, hopefully, you will not face any damage. Plus will do your work with perfection.